You always smell pancakes before you see them. Warm, fluffy goodness. Mmmm. But for those of us following a diet, that buttery assault to the senses is completely off the cards on Shrove Tuesday…
Who said pancakes have to be fattening? They don’t always have to be varnished in butter or slathered in liquid sugar to taste good, so make sure you don’t miss out on all the pancake fun by whipping up a healthier batch.
Before you dive headfirst into a Pinterest click hole for a minefield of recipes, favourite this problem-solver. My banana pancake ticks all the boxes of what a pancake should be without throwing your diet plans off course. Sweet? Check. Fluffy? Check. Filling? Check check check.
It doesn’t need calorific add-ons to make it the perfect pancake day treat. It doesn’t need tonnes of ingredients, or a lot of your time. There’s no refined sugar involved and each pancake comes in at a little more than 250 calories (if you’re counting), so stack-’em-high with a homey slice of heaven.
Forget pancake day, I need these in my life all year round.
Serves 1 • Ready in 5 minutes
1 large egg (18 cals for egg white)
1 medium banana, peeled (95 cals)
1 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour (102 cals)
½ tsp vanilla extract (6 cals)
½ tsp baking powder (3 cals)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
- Separate the egg. We only need the egg white in this recipe.
- In a wide bowl, mash the banana thoroughly with a fork. Whisk in the egg white, then follow with the rest of the ingredients and combine until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan (skillet) over a medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you may be able to cook 2–3 pancakes at the same time. Wait until each pancake starts to form bubbles on the surface, then flip. Depending on the size of your pancake it will take 1–2 minutes cooking on each side.
- Make all your pancakes in the same way and serve immediately.
- 800 calorie ‘diet’ days
- Overnight fasting
- Over 100 new and revised recipes
- 800 Calorie Meal Plans