Here’s a delicious summery recipe for Avocado Salad with Toasted Pinenuts
I’ve had a nice few days at home with family over Easter and a few trips out to see castles etc but now I’m itching to get back to work, exercise and normality!
I find it very hard to exercise when the kids are off school. We’re either off doing stuff or snuggled down at home when it’s raining. And I think that affects my mood too. I tend to exercise for the feelgood feeling I get when I’ve finished, rather than for weight-loss. After all, only 20% of weight-loss comes from exercise, the rest is what you eat.
So for me tomorrow it’s back to healthy eating (no more chocolate!) and some exercise. As it’s now officially spring, I’m craving salads. You’ll find a lot of fruit – and that includes tomatoes – will start to taste much more flavoursome now as they are less likely to be from ‘hot houses’.
Here’s a classy salad to get you back in the healthy mindset. It’s topped with toasted pinenuts which give it a lovely warmth and flavour you don’t get from anything else.
Avocado Salad with Toasted Pinenuts
SERVES 1 • READY IN 5 MINUTES
1 heaped tbsp (15g) pinenuts (105 cals)
40g (1½oz) mixed salad leaves (16 cals)
2 medium tomatoes, quartered (28 cals)
5cm (2in) piece cucumber, halved lengthways and sliced (10 cals)
½ avocado, peeled, stone removed and sliced (138 cals)
30g (1oz) feta cheese, cubed (83 cals)
For the dressing:
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (27 cals)
1 tsp cider vinegar (1 cal)
½ tsp balsamic vinegar (2 cals)
Salt and pepper
• Heat a small pan over a high heat and toss in the pinenuts. Heat, shaking the pan every 30 seconds, until tinged brown with a delicious aroma. Remove from the pan and set aside.
• Arrange the salad leaves, tomato, cucumber and avocado on a serving plate. Sprinkle over the feta cheese.
• In a small bowl or cup, combine the olive oil with the cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar and a generous pinch of both salt and pepper. Pour over the salad.
• Finally, arrange the pinenuts over the top.
- Real weight-loss that lasts
- Healthy & safe - helps blood sugar, cholesterol & energy
- Three balanced meals a day
- Clear advice that works
- Over 80 fresh and simple recipes