When I posted a picture of these Chewy No Bake No Sugar High Energy Balls on Instagram last week I got an amazing response. So many people wanted the recipe to try it out for themselves. Well it’s taken me a bit of time to finally get the recipe down on paper but here it is. Ready for you to try.
It really is incredibly simple. Just 5 ingredients. They take just a few minutes to throw together and then just 30 minutes to chill in the fridge.
The new ingredient that I haven’t used before is puffed oats. Puffed oats is essentially the same idea as puffed rice (aka rice krispies) or popcorn. So they’re just oats – no extra ingredients. I used Rude Health Puffed Oats from Holland and Barrett.
I know I keep going on about oats but they really are fantastic. Full of fibre, high in protein and cholesterol lowering. I’m always trying to find new ways to cook with them and this is just the start…
Chewy No Bake No Sugar High Energy Balls
56 calories per ball
Makes 20 * Ready in 10 minutes (+30 mins chill)
100g puffed oats (363 cals)
30g buckwheat flour (101 cals)
100g chopped dates (295 cals)
50g butter, melted (369 cals)
- Combine the puffed oats and buckwheat in a mixing bowl.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the dates with the water. They won’t get totally smooth but you will get a thick gooey wonderful syrup.
- Add the date syrup and butter to the puffed oats and stir until every last bit of the oats is coated in the mixture.
- Now time to get a bit mucky! Have a little bit of extra buckwheat flour ready and use it to stop your hands becoming too sticky.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture at a time and press it in your hands until it makes a ball. Each ball is roughly the size of a golf ball. The mix makes approximately 20 balls.
- Transfer each ball to a tray or large plate. When they’re all finished, place the tray in the fridge and leave to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- These balls keep best in the fridge and will last several days.
- 800 calorie ‘diet’ days
- Overnight fasting
- Over 100 new and revised recipes
- 800 Calorie Meal Plans