Fancy something a little bit different? These Courgette Rolls are very simple to make and require absolutely no cooking. You can have them as a light lunch – the whole dish has only 121 calories.
Or if you’re feeling fancy, serve them to party guests or visitors as a healthier and vegetarian option.
In this delicious Italian starter (appetizer) the thin slices of courgette (zucchini) are ‘cooked’ in oil and vinegar before being stuffed with a delicious cottage cheese filling. This recipe makes four or five rolls.
Serves 1 • Ready in 30m
1 courgette (zucchini) (18 cals)
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (27 cals)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (12 cals)
100g (3½oz) low-fat cottage cheese (63 cals)
1 tsp lemon juice (1 cal)
4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the ends off the courgette (zucchini) and, using a vegetable peeler, cut 4 long strips, discarding the first and last strips that are just skin.
- Drizzle the olive oil and half the balsamic vinegar over a large plate. Arrange the courgette strips flat on the plate, making sure they don’t overlap, then drizzle the remaining balsamic vinegar over the top. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the cottage cheese in a fine sieve (strainer) and press on it gently with a fork to remove as much liquid as possible. Put the cottage cheese into a small bowl and mix in the lemon juice and shredded basil, then season.
- Place 1 generous teaspoon of the cottage cheese mixture onto one end of a courgette strip and roll up. Repeat until you have used up all the filling. Arrange the rolls upright on a serving plate to serve.
- Real weight-loss that lasts
- Healthy & safe - helps blood sugar, cholesterol & energy
- Three balanced meals a day
- Clear advice that works
- Over 80 fresh and simple recipes