A little of what you fancy does you good. Cling onto the last days of summer with this peach melba tray bake. Indulgent but not disastrous. #weightlossjourney #recipeideas
“All I need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt!”
These are the words of the great philosopher Charles M Schulz. OK, so he’s not a great philosopher, he was the cartoonist who created Peanuts. But I still think this is a wise quote.
While the 5:2 diet is mainly about shifting your mindset into a new, healthier way of eating and living, we all need a little indulgence from time to time.
This peach melba tray bake is one of my favourites. And it’s also a great way of using some of the fantastic raspberry glut we’ve had this year.
The summery peaches and raspberries team beautifully with the marzipan flavours added by the ground almonds, with a sprinkling of flaked almonds adding crunch.
Peach melba tray bake
Makes 16 • Ready in 1 hour 10 mins
250g butter, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
3 large eggs
75g caster sugar
100g almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
50g ground almonds
3 peaches, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
1 tbsp flaked almonds
1 tbsp icing sugar
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/gas mark 4 and grease a small cake tin, about 20cm square.
• Heat the butter until just melted in a small pan. Allow to cool slightly before beating in the vanilla and eggs.
• In a large bowl, combine the sugar and stevia with the almond flour, baking powder and ground almonds.
• Pour in the butter and egg mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour the gloopy mixture into the prepared tin and level out with the back of a spoon.
• Arrange the chopped peaches and raspberries over the top and sprinkle on the flaked almonds.
• Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes before removing the foil and baking for a further 20 minutes. Leave to cool completely in the tin. When cold, transfer to a chopping board, dust over the icing sugar and cut into squares.
- 800 calorie ‘diet’ days
- Overnight fasting
- Over 100 new and revised recipes
- 800 Calorie Meal Plans