Bored of soups but still want something warming and comforting? Try my incredibly satisfying Sausage and Puy Lentils…
It’s a funny time of year. One minute it’s all daffodils and tulips and cheerily-vibrant stems of rhubarb. The next moment, you foolishly step outside minus coat and scarf and the biting cold is still swiping round your ears as if we’ve entered a permanent Narnia-style Age of Winter.
I don’t know about you but I’ve pretty much exhausted my soup repertoire by now, even with a few encouraging spring veg creeping into season to pep things up a bit.
Although the chilly weather calls for comfort food and cosy warmth, I’m ready for something with a bit more bite and a flash of colour. Which is where my sausage and puy lentil stew charges into its own, like a one-pot spring saviour.
The peppery little French lentils are the perfect partner for generously-flavoured sausages, while throwing in chopped tomatoes adds a summery burst of colour that we all need to see us through the dregs of winter.
Hang on in there, friends. Spring is just around the corner.
SAUSAGES AND PUY LENTILS
This is a fabulously filling and quick meal. Great cold the next day or even reheated carefully in the microwave.
Serves 2 • Ready in 8 minutes
2 tsp olive oil
100g (3½oz) mushrooms, washed and sliced
2 spring (green) onions, trimmed and chopped
2 good quality cooked pork sausages, sliced
4 med tomatoes, roughly chopped
250g (9oz) cooked puy lentils
Few drops worcestershire sauce
- Heat the oil on a high heat in a wide saucepan. Toss in the mushrooms and stir-fry until just cooked and tender. Add the spring (green) onions and sausages and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until warmed. Still on a high heat, add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the puy lentils and worcestershire sauce and stir through until warmed. Season with a little salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Real weight-loss that lasts
- Healthy & safe - helps blood sugar, cholesterol & energy
- Three balanced meals a day
- Clear advice that works
- Over 80 fresh and simple recipes