Forget faddy protein breakfasts. The most satisfying start to the day is this classic smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Here’s why.
Protein is the new avocado.
When it comes to food trends, protein is right up there. And for once, the science backs up the fad.
Eating breakfast and eating protein are both proven to be important weapons in your healthy eating toolkit. One study showed participants who had a protein-rich breakfast ate up to 26% fewer calories at lunch than those who had the same calories but less protein.
Protein fills you up for longer because it’s slower to digest than carbs. But that doesn’t mean you have to fall in with the body building brigade, reducing brekkie to a nasty chemical protein shake. Far from it.
When I want a satisfying, tasty protein breakfast, I go straight back to basics with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. If you think you don’t have time, think again.
Scrambled eggs are super fast to whip up and I’m sure adding an artfully crumpled slice of smoked salmon isn’t going to make you miss the bus. It’ll be worth it when you have the strength to refuse the biscuit tin at 11am.
Classic smoked salmon with scrambled eggs
Serves 1 • Ready in 5 mins
60g (2¼oz) smoked salmon (85 cals)
1 large egg (91 cals)
1 tbsp skimmed (skim) milk (5 cals)
squeeze of lemon juice (1 cal)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Arrange the smoked salmon on a serving plate.
• Crack the egg into a small non-stick saucepan and add the milk.
• Heat the egg gently while stirring continuously. Remove from the heat while the eggs are scrambled but still soft and place on the serving plate with the salmon.
• Squeeze the lemon juice over the salmon and season generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- 800 calorie ‘diet’ days
- Overnight fasting
- Over 100 new and revised recipes
- 800 Calorie Meal Plans